Custom Design in Categories for Magento
The Custom Design tab gives you control over the look and feel of a category and all assigned product pages, including the content blocks and page layout. You can customize a category page its assigned products for a promotion or to differentiate the category from others and increase sales. For example, you might develop distinctive design for a brand or special line of products.
To create a custom category design:
- If the parent category of the selected category has already been customized and you want to use same settings, set Use Parent Category Settings to “Yes.”
- To apply the custom design to all the products assigned to the category, set Apply to Products to “Yes.” Otherwise, the customization applies to only the category page.
- To apply a different theme to the category, select the theme you want to use from the Custom Theme list.
- To apply the category design to a specific range of time, click the calendar to select both the Active From and Active To dates. Otherwise, the design will take effect when you save the changes to the category.
- Click the Save Category button to save your changes.
FIELD: Use Parent Category Settings
Allows the current category to inherit the design settings from the parent category. Options include: Yes / No
FIELD: Apply to Products
Applies the custom settings to all products in the category. Options include: Yes / No
FIELD: Custom Theme
Applies a custom theme to the category.
FIELD: Active From
The beginning of a date range that specifies the first day the theme is to be used in the store. The date can be entered or selected from the calendar.
FIELD: Active To
The end of a date range that specifies the last day the theme is to be used in the store. The date can be entered or selected from the calendar.
FIELD: Page Layout
Applies a different layout to the category page. Options include:
No layout updates: Pre-selected by default, and does not apply layout changes to the category page.
Empty: Use to define your own page layout.(Requires an understanding of XML.)
1 column: Applies a one-column layout to the category page.
2 columns with left bar: Applies a two-column layout with a left sidebar to the category page.
2 columns with right bar: Applies a two-column layout with a right sidebar to the category page.
3 columns: Applies a three-column layout to the category page.
FIELD: Custom Layout Update
Updates the theme layout with custom XML code.
Topics in the Category section:
- Creating Categories
- Modifying Categories
- Root Categories
- Hidden Categories
- General Information
- Display Settings
- Category Products
If you have any questions about using or upgrading to Magento, or even converting to responsive design for your existing website, do not hesitate to contact us.