A grouped product consists of multiple, standalone products that are presented as a group. You can offer variations of a single product, or group them by season or theme to create a coordinated set. Shoppers can purchase each product separately, or as part of the group. We will discuss creating a Grouped Product in Magento.
Creating a Grouped Product
The following instructions take you through the process of creating a grouped product with the basic fields. Each required field is marked in the Admin with a red asterisk (*).
After you complete the required settings and save the product, you can add images and complete the remaining product information, as needed.
Step 1: Create the Grouped Product
The first step is to choose the attribute set, which is used as a template for the product record. The product in this example is based on the Default attribute set. This includes a standard of set of fields that can be used for most products.
- On the Admin menu, select Catalog > Manage Products. Then, click the Add Product button.
- In the Create Product Settings section, do the following:
- Select the Attribute Set you want to use as a template for the product.
- Set Product Type to “Grouped Product,” and click the Continue button.
- 3. Complete the main configuration settings as you would for a simple product, with the following exceptions:
- A grouped product does not have price options because the price of each item in the group originates from the associated product.
- On the Inventory tab, you can set quantity increments and stock availability for the group as a whole. However, the inventory of individual items is managed by the individual associated products.
- Click the Save and Continue button.
Step 2: Add the Associated Products
- In the Product Information panel on the left, select Associated Products. Then, do the following:
- To display the complete unfiltered list, click the Reset Filter button.
- If you need help finding the products you want, use the filter controls at the top of a column.
- Select the checkbox of each product that you want to include.
- To list only the products you have selected, set the filter control at the top of the checkbox column to “Yes.” Then, click the Search button.
- Click the Save button to save your changes.
Step 3: Configure the Shopping Cart Thumbnails
- On the Admin menu, select System > Configuration.
- In the Configuration panel on the left, under Sales, select Checkout.
- Click to expand the Shopping Cart section. Then, set Grouped Product Image to one of the following:
- Product Thumbnail Itself
- Parent Product Thumbnail
- Click the Save Config button to save the setting.
The Following are THINGS TO REMEMBER:
- A grouped product is essentially a collection of simple associated products.
- Simple and virtual products associated with a grouped product cannot have custom options.
- Each item purchased appears individually in the shopping cart, rather than as part of the group.
- The thumbnail image in the shopping cart can be set to display the image from the grouped product record, or from the associated product.
Topics in the Products section include the following:
- Product Information and Creation
- Inventory: Introduction and Setup
- Inventory: Managing Stock
- Inventory: Stock Availability Messages
- Inventory: Out of Stock Threshold
- Inventory: Products Alerts
- Product Pricing: Price Section
- Product Pricing: Special Price Section
- Product Pricing: Tier Price Section
- Product Pricing: Package Price Section
- Product Pricing: Minimum Advertised Price Section
- Product Pricing: Product Group Price Section
- Product Images
If you have any questions about using or upgrading to Magento, or even converting to responsive design for your existing website, do not hesitate to contact us.